What differentiates Litmos as a learning platform?
What differentiates Litmos as a learning (experience) platform?
Nowadays a learning platform is common in the training environment of a company. It provides a good overview of your trainings and combines them all within one platform. At this moment, there are hundreds of different solutions and software on the market that contains all these topics.
So why should you choose Litmos? What differentiates this learning platform from all the others? In this article, we will highlight the most important components and benefits that Litmos has to offer your company!
What is Litmos?
Litmos is a powerful platform used to manage your entire corporate training program from one secure, centralized environment. It provides you the ability to combine learning tasks such as course creation, course assignments, tracking and reporting. In this platform, you can integrate your traditional classroom sessions, but also virtual webinars, e-learnings, videos, …
Litmos has different strategies to access the content from different entities. For example, it is not only accessible for internal usage but also for external users such as: customers, organizations, external partners, resellers, … You are able to set up different identities to grant external users access to the platform.
The platform provides several possibilities to connect with other systems using API. For example, information such as users and results from the LMS can easily be shared with other systems like SuccessFactors. Thus, it is also possible to use the platform as E-commerce by making the courses payable and connecting to PayPal.
Some key features
- Fast user-onboarding
- Mobile app
- Robust analytics and reporting
- Simple integration and quick deployment
- Universal accessibility
- Easy course creation as compliance training, soft skills, …
- Off-the-shelf content
- Customized learning paths
- E-Commerce capabilities
- Extensive admin portal
- Social learning & notifications
- Task automation
Litmos offers your company different intuitive dashboards, for learners and for the admin/team lead. There are four profiles in Litmos: Learner, Team Admin/Team leader, Administrator and Account Owner. The account owner has all the permissions, but it is possible to change the permissions for each profile in Litmos. The dashboards within Litmos are very intuitive, there is a variety of widgets that you can easily add, change or delete within the dashboards.
Depending on your profile, you will be able to see divergent functions on the Litmos interface. For example, as an admin or team lead you will see an expanded interface compared to a learner interface. As a learner you will also receive an overview of your learning progress in the assigned trainings.
Next to the profiles, Litmos offers different components. The main three components are People & Teams, Content and Report
1. People & Teams
This allows you to easily add your users in the system (individually or in bulk with a csv-import). Next to creating users individually or in bulk, you have the possibility to connect Litmos to your own HR system. In this case, when someone new enters the company and a user is created in the HR tool, Litmos will automatically create a user as well and assign them to a role. Additionally, you can create different teams and sub-teams and assign them to specific courses. After the creation of users and teams, Litmos offers a simple chart view with the graphical representation of your company structure and teams in hierarchy.
To personalize the system, you can upload profile pictures, and add info about the location of your different teams. Furthermore, People and teams give you the ability to set up admin accesses per team/user.
The next Litmos component is Content. In the Content area you can upload diverse types of content (assessments, classroom training, surveys, certificates & badges, etc.). You can also upload your own content, created in a content authoring tool like SAP Enable Now, such as e-learnings in different formats such as scorm, mp4, etc.
If you do not have access to already existing content, you can create content directly in Litmos. Examples are surveys, information pages and basic SCORM e-learnings. Later on, Litmos gives you the possibility to assign these to the right teams or specific persons. You can choose to upload one course, but also develop a learning path (curriculum) where end-users must follow different courses in a certain order (example: onboarding or certification).
Assigning content to teams or specific users can be done manually, in bulk or by using API to make the onboarding easier. For example, if someone new enters the company, the platform will automatically create a user with the correct access and role.
As a final component, we look at the Reports component. It is important to be able to track the created/uploaded content to have a general overview of the learning development within a company. This way we can easily see who completed which course, how many active users there are, which persons have not yet logged in, etc. In Litmos you can use a list of standard built-in reports, but you can also create your own custom reports.
Litmos offers an amount of automatization when it comes to creating reports. For example, it is possible to set up a monthly report mail to the managers on the platform.
There are two different types of reports: quick reports and usage reports.
The quick reports allow you to quickly generate a report regarding the followed courses or people:
• Courses: How many users have completed a course?
• People: How many courses did a specific user complete?
The usage reports contain an overview of all the login details or login analytics of all users who are in your company’s Litmos system. Besides usage or quick reports, it is also possible to build a custom report for your company and later on download the reports as a pdf or CSV.
Lastly, Litmos also features the ability to create brands to which you can add a learner. A brand determines what the learner can see when opening Litmos. Within the brands there is a part of customization possible, you can add an e-mail template but also other things like: Logo, Learner HomePage HTML Banner, Learner and Admin Pages Color Scheme, etc.
The possibility to customize the platform will make the learning experience for your users more personal, for example by setting up different brands when working with different customers, partners or resellers.
Why implement Litmos?
So now you know the most important components of Litmos, but what does this platform differentiate from all the others?
- Litmos is not only an LMS but also offers a lot of learning experience possibilities to the users. The platform uses gamification to motivate the users to follow trainings by showing them a Leaderboard. The users will receive awarded achievements, points, and badges based on participation in the system. This stimulates a friendly competition and encourages learners to complete more courses and make it to the Leaderboard.
- Furthermore, social learning is also used to motivate the user to learn from their peers. Litmos keeps you up to speed with your users by receiving real-time notifications of activity from your teams and learners. This benefits the course completion rates through unique communication and notifications.
- In addition, Artificial Intelligence is used to personalize the content offered to each user. This mainly involves considering the content viewed by peers and their personal interests.
- Another advantage of Litmos is the usability of the platform. The specially designed UX design encourages optimal usability which makes the use of Litmos approachable. It is also a user-friendly tool for external users. They can easily access the tool and the provided content without any obstacles.
- Finally, there are also content creation and customization options. The different ways of content creation make the tool unique. It is not only possible to upload content but also to create content directly in the tool, which increases the flexibility of the users. Customization of the tool is an important asset. You can customize Litmos extensively in different ways to make the tool even more user-friendly for different teams, customers or partners within your company.