An introduction to SAP Build Apps
The evolution: From AppGyver to SAP Build apps
In 2021, SAP acquired AppGyver. AppGyver is a no-code/low-code platform that gives you the possibility to create apps for all sort of devices (web and mobile) using drag and drop capabilities without writing code.
You may think of SAP Build Apps as an evolved version of SAP AppGyver that concentrates on creating low-code pixel-perfect apps for the SAP Business Technology platform and facilitates integration with other SAP systems and services. SAP Build Apps adds additional application-building capabilities for use in enterprises that address authentication, data integration and lifecycle management needs.
The target audience for low code platforms? It is addressed to everyone that would like to easily create apps. Having a background in development will help you at the beginning when learning how to use AppGyver or SAP Build apps but it is not a requirement.
Side note: AppGyver Community Edition is still available for the moment but does not include the features developed for use in enterprises. An option to import your projects into SAP Build Apps will become available.
A free tier is available on the SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP) to try out SAP Build Apps but it is only for customers. It is not yet available for trial accounts. If you want to try it out on the BTP, you can use a SAP BTP Pay-As-You-Go account. (It will need some configuration to be able to use it).
If you don’t want to lose time with all the configurations of your account, you can still access AppGyver on their website in the meantime. It has all the features of the paying version. The only big difference is the integration with the SAP systems.
Differences between AppGyver Composer Pro and SAP Build apps
Low-code development tools like AppGyver and SAP Build Apps make it simple and quick for users to build and deploy mobile and web applications. The two systems do differ in several significant ways, though.
First, while SAP Build Apps are developed on top of the SAP Business Technology Platform, AppGyver is based on the open-source framework Steroids.js and uses AngularJS. This means that AppGyver is a general-purpose development platform that can be used to create apps for any purpose and SAP Build apps is primarily made to allow the building of apps for SAP systems.
Second, AppGyver offers several pre-built modules that may be quickly added to an app without the need for coding, including forms, lists, and navigation. Pre-built modules and templates are also available through SAP Build Apps applications, but it also enables simple connectivity with other SAP products and services including SAP S/4HANA, SAP SuccessFactors, and SAP Ariba.
Thirdly, SAP Build Apps have also security features and compliance to standards like SOC2, ISO27001, and PCI DSS, but it also has the option to provide more robust security features that are integrated with SAP Business Technology Platform. AppGyver focuses on security and compliance by offering a built-in security feature such as user roles, data privacy, and encryption.
Last but not least, as already indicated, AppGyver is a general-purpose development platform, whereas SAP Build applications is intended particularly to create apps for SAP systems. Therefore, SAP Build Apps may be a better choice for businesses that already use SAP systems and want to create apps that interface with them.
What does it look like?
9 Most important features of SAP Build Apps
- Drag-and-drop visual builder for creating app layouts and user interfaces
- Built-in data management and offline capabilities
- Support for integrating with external APIs and services
- Real-time collaboration and version control for teams
- Preview and testing capabilities for multiple platforms
- Built-in compliance and security features
- Support for integrating with other SAP systems, such as SAP S/4HANA and SAP SuccessFactors
- Deployment options including on-premises, cloud, and hybrid deployment
- Pre-built templates and reusable components for common business use cases
- Boost productivity and efficiency by building enterprise-grade apps with no-code using a visual development platform
- Integrate seamlessly with SAP systems through API’s, OData, …
- Scale without compromise
- Native performance
- Lot of documentation available
- Access to the SAP Build platform and its features typically require a paid subscription, which can be costly
- SAP Build is specifically designed to build apps for SAP systems, which means that it may not be suitable for organizations that do not use SAP systems or want to create apps that do not integrate with them.
- Limited customizability
- Steep learning curve
Overall, low code development is rising and here to stay. SAP Build Apps is a promising and fun to use platform that has his advantages and disadvantages. Those may differ based on your need and requirements. To me personally, I chose SAP Build apps over AppGyver as it only available as a community edition. For SAP customers, there is no longer support for AppGyver.
SAP build apps won me over with his seamlessly integration capabilities with SAP systems.
Before you start, be aware that there is a steep learning curve. But at the end it is definitely worth it. After enduring that, you will find it fun and easy to develop apps with no-code. Need help with your projects? At Amista we can help you to translate your business processes and workflows into powerful enterprise-ready applications.